Wired Named min's Marketing Team of the Year (And 26 Others Honored at Integrated Marketing Awards)
Monday, September 23, 2013
Wired, under VP/publisher Howard Mittman, has become a significant innovator among magazines, and confirmation came with its winning Marketing Team of the Year at min's 10th Integrated Marketing Awards breakfast Sept. 23 at New York's Grand Hyatt. min cited the Wired staff for developing "unprecedented, tailored customizations to meet advertisers' objectives and achieve results that go above and beyond their highest expectations."
Honorable mentions for Marketing Team of the Year went to Food Network magazine (2011 Marketing Team of the Year), Fast Company and Time Inc. Branded Solutions.
Marketer of the Year, our most prestigious individual award, went to People en Español associate director of integrated marketing Luis Solis (pictured), This "talented marketing professional's "passion for innovation and results helped People en Español "deliver dazzling results in new business revenue in 2012, which was a year where People en Español ranked as the second highest ranking magazine in the U.S. for year-over-year growth of print business and had high double-digit growth in digital revenue."
Honorable mentions went to Meg Doperak (Time Inc. Branded Solutions), Katie Flanagan (Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia) and Kristina McMahon (Women's Health).
There were two winners of our popular Wow! Award for "an amazing display": (1) Hearst Integrated Media for Designer Visions 2012 and (2) Sports Illustrated, for high-school football's Underdogs presented by Powerade. Fast Company, Food Network, HGTV, OMD, Shape and Time Inc. were honorable mentions.
That there were a record 27 categories and 150-plus entries was indicative of the importance magazine publishers place on integrated marketing in 2013 as brand building and extensions are critical to success. All told, SI was a three-time IMA winner and Brides, Cosmopolitan, Meredith Corp. and Time Inc. were each honored twice.
Here are the 24 remaining Integrated Marketing Award categorical listings (view the quick-list here):
Sports Illustrated, for March Madness with Infiniti (SI NCAA Men's Basketball tournament app for the iPhone). Sports Illustrated’s March 2012 NCAA Basketball Tournament preview issue was a milestone issue in its digital development as it debuted the Sports Illustrated Magazine app for the iPhone, and it was also an unveiling of a universal scan tool capable of reading all print-to-mobile action codes and an enhanced augmented print viewer.
- Condé Nast Italy (Wired Italia interactive replica)
- Martha Stewart Living (Wrap the Holidays--Macy's-sponsored MSL iPad cover)
- Shape: Timeberland TrendSHAPEr Series
- Time Inc. (My Ford)
Print/TV or Radio Bundle
Travel + Leisure for Eat Like a Local (T+L and CNN scoured the globe to find the "100 Places to Eat Like a Local"). Travel + Leisure developed this unique program, which involved its editorial team searching for places to Eat Like a Local. Teaming up with the broadcast team at CNN, the two marketing teams devised a custom program involving reader connectivity, social, digital, and broadcast.
- Every Day with Rachael Ray (Procter & Gamble-partnered "Have You Tried this Yet?" 360 launch
- Field & Stream ("Total Outdoorsman Challenge")
Meredith Corp. for P&G Future Friendly (the campaign engaged moms with eco-friendly values: save energy, save water, reduce waste). This campaign created a customized year-long content platform that allows P&G to “walk the walk” and inspire consumers to do their part in taking action today to preserve tomorrow. The campaign engaged moms with eco-friendly values with the Future Friendly key pillars (save energy, save water, reduce waste.
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Designer Fashions 2012")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Intel/Fashion Forward")
- Martha Stewart Living ("Everyday Food with Sarah Carey")
- Time Inc. ("Live Like a Star"--GNC Red Carpet Partnership)
- Time Inc. ("Degree Women Unapologetically Strong")
Source Interlink Media -- Kia Justice League Build, for the Kia Motors/DC Entertainment "We Can Be Heroes" benefit program to combat the hunger crisis in Africa. As part of this campaign, DC Entertainment teamed up with West Coast Customs, RIDES and Source Interlink Media to create a fleet of eight superhero-themed vehicles.
- Essence Communications ("CoverGirl--Alter Ego")
- Fast Company ("Most Innovative Companies" exclusives)
- HGTV magazine (Pier 1 Imports)
- Time Inc. ("AT&T Insider")
- Time Inc. Branded Solutions ("Degree Women Unapologetically Strong")
- Us Weekly (Sony "Follow Me")
Custom Publishing Project
Shape and SMG, for "Kellogg's Special K 'Be Your Best You" New Year Edition" (digital magazine to keep women to stay healthy with the start of 2013). SHAPE collaborated with Kellogg’s Special K to update the "Be Your Best You" digital magazine in an effort to keep women motivated to stay healthy long after summer. By taking the Special K "How much will you gain when you lose?" campaign and refocusing it to reflect a New Year's theme, SHAPE was able to encourage readers to reach their New Year's resolutions! Over 25,000 issues were downloaded in the first month.
- 1105 Media Inc. (CGI Leadership Journal/Spring 2013)
- Details ("The Collections")
- McMurry/TMG (The Ritz-Carlton Magazine)
- National Geographic ("From Wildcat to Housecat," with Purina One)
- Starcom MediaVest Group ("Sports Illustrated -- 53rd issue," with Northwestern Mutual)
- Time Inc. ("Westfield")
- UBM Tech ("ARM Signum")
Contests and Sweepstakes
National Geographic, for The Full Story: Nikon (a Nikon-partnered photography contest in which the winner went to an NG photo shoot in the Gallapagos). The Full Story was created by National Geographic and Nikon to inspire budding amateur photographers to convey their vision using Nikon cameras. Five winners were selected and the grand prize winner accompanied Nat Geo's digital nomad, Andrew Evans, the Gallapagos earlier this year. What an incredible, inclusive, engaging concept!
Real Simple, for Blueprint to a Beautiful Home (multi-platformed content program to educate consumers on the money-saving benefits of Chase Blueprint). The program included various activations on Realsimple.com driving measurable engagement and ROI for Chase Blueprint.
- Bonnier Corp. ("Work Hard Play Hard")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Unilever Clear")
- Meredith Corp. (Fitness magazine's "Face of Fitness" contest)
- Starcom MediaVest Group ("Think It! Build It!")
Most Creative Use of Technology
Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, for "Pinspiration," the Martha Stewart-leveraged first-to-market "Pin It" Pinterest ad technology with Nikon and other partners. For the first time ever, fans were able to pin products, recipes, and projects - directly from a custom ad unit or email.
- American Express Publishing Corp. ("Receipt/Match Crowdsourced Video" campaign)
- Essence ("Instagram -- Natural Hair Revolution Campaign")
- OMD ("CW: Live Twitter Feed in a Magazine")
- ShopAdvisor ("Cosmopolitan's ShopAdvisor Shop Button
- UBM DeusM ("Digi-Key's Continuing Education Center on Design News)
Multiple Magazine Title Program
Revlon/InStyle/People StyleWatch, for "Find It. Buy It. Do It." (Year-long integrated program included custom editorial videos, in-book editorial franchises, etc.) It's branded, it's social, it's beautiful, and it's fun!
- Cosmopolitan/Seventeen (Mary Kay Cosmetics "Fall Into Your Beauty"--college tour)
- Food & Wine ("Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Designer Visions 2012")
- Rolling Stone/Us Weekly ("Garnier Fructis 'Women Who Rock'/'Rock Their Style'")
- Time Inc. ("Jergens: A Beautiful Conversation")
New Event Program
Food Network magazine, for "Clinique Chubby Stick Food Truck" (snacks offered by Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Stick Balm). Clinique and Food Network Magazine created a Clinique Chubby Stick Food Truck experience in New York City. Passersby were encouraged to enjoy a refreshing ice pop inspired by Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm, with the goal being to drive visibility for Clinique Chubby Sticks in an engaging consumer experience and help Clinique “own summer” with a branded campaign.
- Bon Appétit ("Grub Crawl")
- Bonnier Corp. ("American Photo Model Shoot")
- Federated Media ("Hyundai Epic Playdate")
- Forbes ("2012 Forbes Summit on Philanthropy")
- IDG Enterprise ("Consumerization of IT in the Enterprise [CITE] Conference + Expo")
- Martha Stewart Living ("Martha Stewart's American Made")
- Meredith Corp. ("Fitness Blogger Meet & Tweet")
- Time Inc. ("'Spotlight on Suncare Live Tour" presented by Neutrogena")
Continuing Events Program
Essence Communications Inc. for Black Women in Hollywood 2013 (pre-Oscar luncheon that honored Gabrielle Union, Oprah Winfrey, etc.). Essence presented its sixth annual “Black Women in Hollywood: The Power of Our Presence” Awards and Luncheon during Oscar week, on Thursday, February 21, and welcomed more than 300 film stars, friends and business leaders to the iconic event. 2013 honorees included Gabrielle Union and Oprah Winfrey.
Federated Media Publishing, for Hyundai Epic Playdate (a program of seven branded videos, three Real Simple advertorials, etc. to improve car sales). To improve sales for the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe, Federated Media created, over a 6-month period, a program that included seven branded videos, 150 original posts from influential digital publishers, three advertorials in Real Simple promoting the Epic Play Date initiative, and a Pinterest Sweepstakes.
- 1105 Media ("FCW Executive Briefing: Big Data and the Government Enterprise")
- Health magazine ("Wanderlust 'Yoga in the City' Event")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Elizabeth Arden")
- InStyle ("Patron Spirits Co. and InStyle at Toronto International Film Festival")
- Penton/WardsAuto ("WardsAuto International Conference")
- People ("World's Most Beautiful 'Make Me a Star" Beauty Tour")
- Shape magazine ("2012 Shape Diva Dish")
- Sports Illustrated ("Sports Illustrated 'Swimsuit' Launch Week")
Best App Integration
Self, for "Workout in the Park Social Game" (an "interactive experience" based on Self's "Workout in the Park." It's branded, it's social, it's beautiful, and it's fun! SELF Workout in the Park Social Game is the first-ever social game from a magazine brand, providing an immersive, interactive experience where players create/customize their own outdoor fitness park, personalize avatars in their likeness, and so much more.
- Essence (("Instagram -- Natural Hair Revolution Campaign")
- Starcom Media Invest Group ("Summer Grilling App")
- Time Inc. ("Capital Acumen")
- McMurry/TMG (WebMD magazine)
Time Out New York, for "Share Your Now" (launch of the Samsung "Galaxy" camera through the "Share Your Now" brand-awareness campaign). The effort communicated clearly to a young, urban, demographic that the Samsung GALAXY Camera combines cutting-edge camera capabilities with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean and wireless network connectivity, letting users shoot, edit, and share high quality images effortlessly anywhere, at anytime.
- Meredith 360 ("Target Summer Days")
- National Geographic ("From Wildcat to Housecat" -- Purina One)
- Penton Media ("hpmicrosoftprivatecloud.com")
- Sports Illustrated ("'Meet Team USA' for Visa"
- Time Inc. ("AT&T Customized Web Site")
Retail Merchandising Tie-In
Sports Illustrated, for "College Football Traditions for LG" (activations program for football fans and LG retail partners). Sports Illustrated’s experiential marketing team created an eight stop mobile tour that was set up at key electronics retailers in top college football markets.
- Bon Appétit ("Banana Republic and Open Table Present 'Desk to Dinner'")
- Shape magazine ("Wrigley's "120-Day 'Get Fit' Giveaway with Shape and Men's Fitness")
- Time Inc. and Starcom MediaVest Group ("Cracker Barrel Perfect Pairings")
Special Advertorial Section
Starcom MediaVest Group—"Smart Solutions for the Southern Cook with Southern Living" for its print campaign with Southern Living. The objective of Delta's 2013 print program with Southern Living was to set the Delta brand apart from their competition and continue to grow the brand as an innovator in the home improvement space. By leveraging impactful editorial opportunities, the campaign set out to drive category leadership, brand awareness, preference, and consideration amongst Delta's target audience of adults ages 25-54 who appreciate thoughtful, practical innovation.
- Every Day with Rachael Ray ("Procter & Gamble" 'Have You Tried This Yet?' 360 Launch")
- Food Network magazine ("Holiday Wine Section")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Intel Fashion Forward")
Social Media Initiatives
Brides for Brides Live Wedding (Brides VP/publisher Michelle Myers is picture), in which Facebook "likes" determined the winning couple and the wedding plans. In November 2012, Brides launched the first-ever Brides Live Wedding where everything—from the winning couple to the color scheme to the cake – was decided upon by Facebook “likes.” And for each “like,” Brides made a donation to the winning couple’s charity, The American Cancer Society. The program culminated on April 7, 2013 as the wedding was streamed live direct from the luxurious St. Regis Monarch Beach in Dana Point, CA.
UBM Tech's "DesignCon," for the social media initiatives that expanded the technical and academic conference and expo. The objective of this highly technical and academic conference and expo is to provide a forum where chip, board and systems design engineers can gather for education from the top minds in the industry. At DesignCon, engineers are able to network and share information with peers, meet with exhibitors showcasing the emerging design technologies they need to get their jobs done today, and grow their design expertise to prepare for the year ahead.
- American Express Publishing Corp. ("'ReceiptMatch Crowdedsourced' Video Campaign")
- Essence Communications Inc. ("'Instagram -- Natural Hair Revolution' Campaign"
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Unilever Clear")
- Meredith Corporation ("Fitness 'Face of Fitness' Contest")
- National Geographic Global Media ("Nikon--The Full Story")
- Time Inc. ("Devry")
- Time Inc. ("Jergens: A Beautiful Conversation")
- Travel + Leisure ("Charleston Insider")
Total Integrated Program: Auto
Time Inc. Branded Solutions, for Chrevrolet Malibu Style, in which the unit produced an integrated campaign that made creative use of every media platform. The Chevrolet Malibu Style campaign highlighted the 2013 Chevrolet Malibu as the stylish, state‐of‐the‐art vehicle for contemporary women who are making similarly smart, stylish choices every day of their dynamic lives.
- Field & Stream/Outdoor Life ("Deer Camp Essentials")
- Food Network magazine ("Lexus/Restaurant Impossible")
- Martha Stewart Living ("Driven by Design: Toyota & Martha Stewart's 'American Made'")
- Source Interlink Media ("Scion FR-S")
Total Integrated Program: Beauty & Fitness
Cosmopolitan and Pantene, for "I'm So Whipped," a Cosmo multi-platform integrated platform to restore Pantene's Daily Moisture Revival's market share. Pantene was looking to restore Daily Moisture Renewal as its top collection—and to banish her belief that dry hair is the inescapable price she has to pay for fabulously fashionable hair. The objectives of this campaign were to make Moisture Whip an iconic, cult product; make Pantene relevant to her again, and re-gain its position as the moisture leader. To accomplish these goals, Cosmo created an engaging multi-platform integrated program across all of its brand assets; for example, print Cosmo shot and designed a 4-month exclusive custom content campaign to launch Pantene Whipped!
- Hearst Integrated Media ("I'm So Whipped")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Elizabeth Arden")
- Meredith Corp. ("Fitness 'Face of Fitness' Contest")
- Shape magazine ("Shape & Asics 'Interact with Get Fit'")
- Time Inc. ("Spotlight on Suncare Life Tour Presented by Neutrogena")
- Us Weekly ("Philips Zoo! 'Emmy Red Carpet Live'")
Total Integrated Program: Event
Brides for Brides Live Wedding ("an event so nice that it had to be honored twice.")
- Essence Communications Inc. ("Black Women in Hollywood 2013")
- Sports Illustrated ("Swimsuit Launch Week")
Total Integrated Program: Fashion
Lucky, for "Lucky + H&M: Lucky Picks," in which four Lucky Style Collective bloggers curated 40 picks from H&M's fall collection an utilized a custom microsite. The H&M "Lucky Picks" program is a great example of a robust, well-executed and fully integrated initiative. Lucky partnered H&M and utilized a custom microsite, custom video, custom blogvertorials, custom rotator unit, custom co-branded units and in-store activations to achieve its goals of driving traffic and sales for H&M's fall 2012 collection.
- Essence Communications Inc.("Essence Fashion Closet")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Intel Fashion Forward")
- Sears Holdings Corporation ("Searts Style Glam: Get More. Look Fabulous")
Total Integrated Program: Financial
The Wall Street Journal, for Citi and Wall Street Journal: "City of the Year," in which nearly 1 million voted as part of Citibank's 200th anniversary. To celebrate Citi’s 200th anniversary, The Wall Street Journal created “City of the Year: Innovation.” The program sought to reach as many consumers globally as possible and activate at least 10,000 (the final total was nearly 1 million) to vote for their choice of City of the Year for Innovation; the program also sought to associate Citi with innovation and lift positive awareness.
- Fortune ("Fastest-Growing Companies")
- Starcom MediaVest Group ("Save 11")
Total Integrated Program: Food
Meredith Corporation, for "Velveeta and Ro*tel 'Weeknight Wow,'" in which Meredith's multimedia touch-point plan reached100 million women to disseminate12 co-branded Velveeta and Ro*tel recipes with a multi-touch-point plan including print, digital, social media and point-of-purchase, integrating VELVEETA and RO*TEL recipes into Meredith’s framework to align with trusted and credible content from Meredith brands.
- Chicago magazine ("Chicago's Best Bulleit Mixologists")
- Food Network magazine ("Buitoni/Food Network Star")
- People and SMG ("'People's 'Teacher of the Year' awards presented by Kellogg's Frosted Mini-Wheats")
- Travel + Leisure ("100 Places to Eat Like a Local"
Total Integrated Program: Lifestyle
Ikea and O - The Oprah Magazine, for "The Life Improvement Project," in which O developed an integrated program to support Ikea's consumer engagement platform. This program’s goals and objectives included developing an integrated program that utilized the reach of O, The Oprah Magazine, Oprah.com and OWN to support IKEA’s consumer engagement platform, “The Life Improvement Project.” The campaign also sought to promote and amplify the “Life Improvement Project” through relevant editorial content and property talent.
- Good Housekeeping ("P&G From Our House to Your House")
- Hearst Integrated Media ("Chinet Comfort Cups")
- InStyle ("Time Pods Launch"
- Sears Holdings Corporation ("Kmart CaféMom Mama's Latinas: Smarter Living")
Total Integrated Program: Magazine Launch
Cosmopolitan, for Cosmo for Latinas, which with its May 2012 launch recognized the growing market of English-speaking Hispanic women. Cosmo for Latinas has since increased its frequency to 4 issues per year in 2013 due to the success of the launch issue. The magazine is an insider's approach to everything Cosmo with the Latina sensibility--from beauty and style to dating, relationships, family, the hottest celebrities and the coolest parties.
- Bullett Media ("Print, Tablet, Web, E-Commerce, and Creative Agency")
- Condé Nast Italy ("GQ Italia Interactive Replice")
- HGTV magazine (June 2012 launch)
Total Integrated Program: Tech
Entertainment Weekly-HTC, for "24-Hour Film Race," a competition where directors vie to make short films in only 24 hours. Entertainment Weekly brokered a first ever presenting sponsorship of The 2012 24 Hour Film Race. The winner, along with The 24 Hour Film Race grand prize jury winner, received an all-new HTC One phone along with cash and other prizes.
- IDG Communications ("Samsung TechNotes")
- National Geographic ("Nikon: The Full Story")
- The Economist ("Conversations Around Technology:)
- Time Out New York ("Share Your Now")
View the quick list of winners and honorable mentions.
In addition, min continued the IMA tradition of honoring the Sweet 16--our name for media buyers and brand marketers who best leverage magazines as part of their distinctive and compelling marketing initiatives. Click here for more.
Thanks go to sponsor UBM DeusM and to guest presenters Michelle Myers (Brides vp/publisher), Stephen Saunders (UBM DeusM managing director) and longtime agency executive and print buyer Steve Greenberger, who this year started North Shore Data Advisors and the Business Projects Exchange.
(photographs by Sean Sime)
If you have breaking news to share please contact min's editors.
Friend Us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/minOnline.