BREAKING NEWS & VIEWS
Top May Advertising Monthlies: ‘Wired’ with Humor and ‘Style’
Monday, April 18, 2011
The monthlies' May ad pages, as has been the case throughout first-half 2011, were mixed with 87 out of the 153 magazines up in min's boxscores. Standing out in the crowd with the month's largest page gains are three from Time Inc.--InStyle, People StyleWatch and People en Español--followed by Wired (Condé Nast) and Redbook (Hearst Magazines). Here are the "top 5" chart and the profiles:
1) InStyleInStyle continues to be advertising "fashionable" with May's 50.38 ad-page increase (+24.27%) boosting the year-to-date-differential to +8.20%. InStyle also is becomes the first monthly in the boxscores to surpass 1,000 ad pages through May (1,001.45 to be exact).
“The strength InStyle showed in May is directly related to our growing Best Beauty Buys franchise," says publisher (since January 2009) Connie Anne Phillips, with beauty advertising's +40% the major catalyst. "We know that Best Beauty Buys get consumers into the store: Our research shows that 84% of our readers purchase products directly from this annual feature.”
2) People StyleWatchPeople StyleWatch has rapidly grown since its inception in 2007, and with May's +46.04 ad pages (+54.06%; +51.69% year-to-date), the winning streak for StyleWatch is now 22 issues (since April 2009), as the magazine increases frequency from 10 to 11 issues per year in 2011.
“In our May issue, we are continuing the momentum with our key, endemic categories of fashion (+80%), retail (+88%) and beauty (+23%),” says StyleWatch publisher (since February 2010) Karin Tracy. “There are 76 pages of new advertisers in the issue including Gucci fragrance, Roxy and Macy’s.”
3) People en EspañolNew to our top 5 is People en Español, with +35.50 ad pages (+61.19%; +46.68% year-to-date). We tracked down outgoing publisher Lucia Ballas-Traynor to see what is happening at the 15-year-old People spinoff.
“Our success is the result of securing upfront commitments by providing advertising partners with exclusive, actionable and measurable consumer insights; enhancing and extending franchises like 50 Most Beautiful, Premios People en Español and Festival People en Español, and leveraging retail programs."
Ballas-Traynor will end her three-year stint at People en Español on April 29 to start a consultancy. No successor has been named.
4) WiredA banana cream pie was delivered to the min office on Friday, April 15, to celebrate Wired’s first ‘Humor’ issue. The purpose was to throw a 'pie-in-the-face', but that was a big ‘NOT’ for this minsider, it was too delicious. Wired VP/publisher (since Feb. 2009) Howard Mittman told min about the mag's huge May success with +36.92 ad pages (+61.93%; +40.58% year-to-date).
“Wired has experienced a renaissance over the last few years as consumers and advertisers have figured out that our brand is not focused on the cult of the Internet, but rather the culture of technology. This sea change is how the Wired world has come to dominate business, and popular culture has allowed us to continue to expand our programmatic offerings and embrace a wider category of advertisers.” With advertisers such as Chanel, Ray Ban, Radio Shack and Computer Associates, Wired's reach is affluent, influential, men.
5) RedbookRedbook celebrates its first-ever Family issue with all six Kardashians posing on the cover. The 108-year-old woman's monthly wraps our top 5 with +33.03 ad pages (+26.49; +0.62% year-to-date).
Redbook VP/publisher/chief revenue officer (since July 2003) Mary Morgan tells min: "May is the perfect expression of Redbook's unique market position, brought to life in our first Family issue: it's about the energy and joy of a particular time in women's lives, which we celebrate each month."
With beauty being a substantial part of the May issue, the Kardashians cover has a John Frieda-sponsored gatefold. Redbook's annual MVP Beauty Awards and an Avon-sponsored beauty booklet are inside. "Other exceptional 360 marketing programs in the issue include an exclusive Sauza tequila entertaining booklet, a custom Coldwater Creek fashion advertorial and a six-page special section from HGTV for its Green Home programming and contest," says Morgan.
Greer Jonas is managing editor of min.
If you have breaking news to share please contact min's editors.
Editorial and Design Awards Breakfast
View the Winners and Honorable Mentions
Complete Event Recap
The minsider Breakfast
December 1 | Yale Club, NYC
Most Intriguing, Rising Stars & Hottest Launches Awards Celebration
December 3 | Grand Hyatt, NYC
Best of the Web Awards
Entry Deadline: Dec. 4
See all events and awards
Get even smarter. Need a quick primer on a media topic? Download a white paper!
Optimizing Your Printer Services - By MRI
Media Insights: minsider Viewpoints from the Front Lines - By min
|Copyright © 2015 Access Intelligence, LLC. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Access Intelligence, LLC is prohibited. For more details please see Terms and Conditions.|