Get Media Industry Alerts

Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn   Google+
Latest Issue »
Get 4
Free Issues »

Death of Former Food & Wine Publisher Julie McGowan

Thursday, May 3, 2012

It was announced today (May 3) that Julie McGowan, whose 1995-2006 stint as Food & Wine publisher remains the longest in the American Express Publishing Co. monthly's 34-year history, has passed away. No cause of her death was given.

In a staff memo, AmEx Publishing president/CEO (since June 2000) Ed Kelly called the news "heartbreaking. Julie was a good friend and colleague to many of us." McGowan had succeeded Kelly at F&W, and in July 2006 he moved her to the Travel + Leisure flagship where she served until stepping down in Nov. 2007.

Earlier in her career, McGowan was Family Life publisher under Jann Wenner and The New Yorker advertising director under Larry Burstein and Tom Florio.

If you have breaking news to share please contact min's editors.

Friend Us on Facebook at

A fabulously funny, smart, stylish woman who accomplished great things in business and in her personal life. Giving, loving, wonderful. This is truly sad.
Posted by Jim Berrien on Thursday, May 3, 2012 @ 06:10 PM
Deliciously sarcastic, warm, caring,elegant, witty,fun, selfless,loyal, and fun only begin to describe Julie. A beautiful person. Her passing is so very sad.
Posted by Andrew Amill on Friday, May 4, 2012 @ 01:08 PM
Julie hired me in 1998 as event coordinator for the 8Classicat Aspen. I was blessed and very fortunate to have been exposed to such a formidable person. What a loss. I am sad for her family and huge community of friends and colleagues. RIP Julie!
Posted by Maureen McAdams on Friday, May 4, 2012 @ 01:58 PM
Sending Julie and her family and friends my prayers. I will always remember her as a poised, sophisticated hard-working woman. She was such a guiding light to all of us at TED,Inc.. Your wit and wisdom will be missed. JULIE!
Posted by Gillian Reilly on Tuesday, May 22, 2012 @ 03:38 PM
Katie told me today at lunch. I was shocked and saddened. A wonderful lady whom I admired. I am holding happy thoughts about her.
Posted by george means on Monday, June 4, 2012 @ 12:19 AM
I just learned that we have lost one of the most talented, beuatiful, smart, funny, caring people I have ever had the honor of knowing. Julie, you are so loved and much missed. My heart goes out to your family and I send prayers for peace to them. I cherish the fact that I had the opportunity to know you and learn from you. I will always tresaure you. Stuart
Posted by stuart hubbard on Thursday, July 12, 2012 @ 06:47 PM
She will always be one of the best.
Posted by Stephen Croncota on Friday, August 10, 2012 @ 11:23 PM