Free Issues »
BREAKING NEWS & VIEWS

Time Warner to Spin Off Time Inc.

Thursday, March 7, 2013

After weeks of reported negotiations, Time Warner Inc. abruptly ended talks on March 6 to combine most Time Inc. titles with Meredith Corp. into a new company and is instead announcing that it will spin off all of Time Inc. (led by the Time flagship) as a separate, publicly traded company. The separation is expected to be finished by the end of the year.

In the meantime, Time Inc. CEO (since Jan. 2012) Laura Lang has decided to step down following the transaction.

"After a thorough review of options, we believe that a separation will better position both Time Warner and Time Inc.," says TW chairman and CEO (since Jan. 2008)  Jeff Bewkes in a statement. "A complete spin-off of Time Inc. provides strategic clarity for Time Warner Inc., enabling us to focus entirely on our television networks and film and TV production businesses, and improves our growth profile. Time Inc. will also benefit from the flexibility and focus of being a stand-alone public company and will now be able to attract a more natural stockholder base. As we saw with the prior spin-offs of Time Warner Cable and AOL, we expect the separation will create additional value for our stockholders.”

According to the announcement, Lang notified Bewkes that she wanted to step down. “Laura indicated to me that we should find a different kind of CEO for this new public company, and I respect her decision,” says Bewkes.

In a separate announcement Wednesday, Meredith Corp. confirmed the discussions, indicating the deal was initiated by Time Warner. "At Time Warner’s initiation, we discussed combining our National Media Group with certain Time Inc. brands to create a new publicly traded company. There are natural synergies between our two portfolios; however, we respect Time Warner’s decision and certainly remain open to continuing a dialogue on how our companies might work together on future opportunities."

Bill Mickey is editor of min sister publication Folio:. The article was first posted on FolioMag.com.

(observation from min editor-in-chief Steve Cohn)

Although Time Warner CEO Jeff Bewkes is confident that a spun-off Time Inc. will "thrive independently" as earlier TW spinoffs Time Warner Cable and AOL have, the one being put out on its own in a corporate break-up is usually the weakest asset. That could potentially mean that Bewkes will sell Time Inc. before the spin-off is completed by year-end.

A recent precedent was McGraw-Hill Cos. CEO Harold ("Terry") McGraw III separating MH Education from the more lucrative MH Financial (Standard & Poors, etc.) with intentions of forming two companies--until last November, when Apollo Global Management agreed to pay $2.5 billion for MH Education. The deal is expected to close as scheduled by the end of March.

An Interesting wrinkle was Meredith Corp. president/CEO Steve Lacy admitting through a corporate statement that Meredith was in discussions to buy Time Inc.'s Style and Entertainment (People, Entertainment Weekly, InStyle, etc.) and Lifestyle (Real Simple, Southern Living, etc.) groups. This is unusual, because prospective buyers rarely comment until the deal comes to fruition.

But will all the variables that will come with the Time Inc. spinoff, Meredith again being a player is not completely out of the question. In that scenario, Lacy is looking forward, not behind.

(statement from outgoing Time Inc. CEO Laura Lang)

March 6, 2013